There is no doubt about it, cosmetic procedures are on the rise each and every year. With the incredible advancements and innovations happening within the field of cosmetic surgery and medical aesthetics, it’s no wonder that this is the case. This has also had an impact on number of male patients interested and undergoing different cosmetic procedures, with Rhinoplasty being the most popular among them.
With the 21st century’s cultural and societal phenomenon of social media, people have been able to put themselves in the spotlight more easily than ever before. Instagram posts, YouTube Vlogs, Influencers, and other social media ventures have given way to an era of everyday people becoming overnight mini-celebrities. Combine this with the rise of reality television, the popularization of health and fitness, and perhaps even the global resurgence of superhero media; it’s no wonder men are wanting to look and feel their best (who doesn’t want to look like Thor?).
While we definitely know that Chris Hemsworth hits the gym, I think we can also be pretty sure that God of Thunder (Thor aka. Hemsworth) himself has received at least a Hydrafacial or two in his lifetime. This then would fit the data, as according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, cosmetic procedures for men have increased a total of 8% between 2000 and 2020, and the trend seems to be continuing into 2021.
At 8 West Cosmetic Surgery & Skin Clinic, dual-board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Thomas Buonassisi consults with and performs cosmetic procedures on a number of male patients. Over the years, our clinic have noticed a steady increase in male patients entering our doors interested in a number of different cosmetic procedures. While men receive an array of many different cosmetic procedures, based on our own observation, as well as popular trends and changes in social stigmas, there are some specific plastic surgeries procedures that are more popular among men than others.
1. Nose Reshaping (Rhinoplasty) is the most popular cosmetic procedure around for both men and women, with Rhinoplasty being a speciality of Dr. Buonassisi’s. Those who are interested in a nose job are typically looking to:
While Rhinoplasty is a fairly common surgery these days, it is important to find someone who REALLY knows noses. This is because while people easily see the nose in terms of aesthetics, it still is incredibly important for your sense of smell, immunity and breathing. You want to ensure you find a surgeon who has a lot of experience and knowledge when it comes to Rhinoplasty and Facial Plastic Surgery, so that can provide a fantastic result that is focussed on aesthetics as well as maintaining function.
2. Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) is another very popular procedure for men, as the eyes tend to be the first part of the face that shows the signs of age. This is due to the skin in this area being thinner and more frequently exposed to sunlight. These signs can show on the upper or lower eye area, and can appear as darkness, puffiness, lax or excess skin. Upper or Lower Blepharoplasty surgery helps to alleviate these signs, providing an overall refreshed and youthful look.
While this may insinuate that Blepharoplasty is targeted to more mature male patients, this isn’t always the case. Genetics and sun exposure play a large part in how our skin ages, and Blepharoplasty candidates can be found in any age group. There are also other non-surgical options that may help alleviate or slow some of the signs of aging eyes until you are ready for a surgical eye rejuvenation procedure
3. Ear Surgery (Otoplasty) is one of those surgeries that men and women seem to search out equally. Also referred to as “Ear Pinning,” Otoplasty will alter only the aesthetic appearance of the ear and will not affect hearing nor go anywhere near the ear-canal. For those who are self-conscious about their ears and how it forms their overall appearance, Otoplasty can be utilized to:
4. Neck Lift (Z Plasty) is popular with men as it helps to remove excess or lax skin around the neck and chin to help promote a stronger jawline and chin. Neck lift surgery is primarily designed to enhance and tighten the neck, eliminating excess tissue, fat or “banding” that often forms as we age. The benefits and impact of Neck Lift surgery can see quite a strong change in appearance by creating:
5. Chin Implants are also popular with men who wish to chisel out a stronger chin, while also potentially softening jowls, and bringing out a sharper jawline. Facial implants are a safe and lasting way to enhance your facial features by:
Even if the procedure you are thinking about isn’t on the list above, or the condition that concerns isn’t mentioned, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exists and that other men haven’t looked into the same thing. In 2020 alone, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, over 13 million men received some form cosmetic procedure, the surgeries discussed in this article are simply just the most popular Plastic Surgery procedures among them. If you are interested in any facial plastic surgery or medical aesthetic procedures, our extremely knowledgeable patient care managers are available to assist with any questions you may have.
We provide complimentary surgical pre-consultations with our patient care managers, where they will perform a photo review with Dr. Buonassisi as well. You can contact them on (604) 733-1669 or complete this form for a call back from them.