Meet Dr. Thomas Buonassisi, Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon
As one of Canada’s top cosmetic facial surgeons, Dr. Thomas Buonassisi leads the team at 8 West Cosmetic Surgery & Skin Clinic and carries extensive experience, having performed facial cosmetic surgery for over 20 years. Dr. Buonassisi has travelled the world to train with renowned experts in the field, working closely with top surgeons in the United States and Australia.
What makes Dr. Buonassisi one of the most respected and well-known facial cosmetic surgeons?
- Board Certification in Facial Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- American Board of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Over 20 Years Experience
- Thousands of Facial Cosmetic Surgeries Performed
- RealSelf Verified Surgeon
- Voted 2018, 2019, 2020 Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Vancouver
Being an expert in his field, Dr. Thomas Buonassisi has performed thousands of facial cosmetic procedures and has honed his surgical skills into an artform.
Benefits of Blepharoplasty
The eyes are what most people connect to when interacting with one another, they are also the part of the face that tends to age first. Aging eyelids may make people look tired, and at an age that is higher than they actually are (or feel). Blepharoplasty can be the perfect way to lift the upper and/or lower eyelid, as it works to tighten and lift sagging eyelid skin and can reduce under-eye bags and puffiness.
We all want to look our best at work or when socializing, and this can come with the confidence in knowing that you are representing the most radiant and vibrant version of yourself.
5 key benefits of Blepharoplasty:
- Provides you with a refreshed and rejuvenated appearance
- Helps to liven up tired-looking eyes
- Supports an overall uplifted and well-rested look
- Alleviates dark, puffy eyes and excess skin
- Is an option for those who are wanting a double eyelid crease
Quick Start Guide to Upper Blepharoplasty
Download the free infographic for all the quick, digestible points you need to know about:
- What is upper blepharoplasty & what does it treat?
- Who’s a candidate for upper blepharoplasty?
- How do you get a natural result from upper blepharoplasty?
- How is upper blepharoplasty performed?
- What should I expect from the recovery period?
- The surgery process with Dr. Buonassisi
How is Blepharoplasty Performed?
Blepharoplasty (depending on the specific technique) typically takes around 1 hour and is performed under local anesthesia. Blepharoplasty requires removing excess skin and fat to help rejuvenate your appearance, and bring focus back to your beautiful eyes. Dr. Buonassisi will begin the surgery by carefully measuring the skin that needs to be removed. Then, precise incisions are made to remove the skin in such a way that the stitching is hidden within natural creases of the skin. Once the sufficient amount of skin and fat has been removed, and the desired result has been achieved, the stitches are placed to complete the surgery.
As each patient is different, and there are a number of different Blepharoplasty techniques to address every concern, a more comprehensive discussion about the surgery will be discussed in your pre-consultation with a Patient Care Manager, followed by your consultation with Dr. Buonassisi.
How Long Does it Take to Recover from Blepharoplasty?
We suggest that patients take about a week off of work, and about 2 weeks off from strenuous activities and exercise. Most patients are comfortable being back in the public eye after a couple of weeks, but full recovery takes several months. There are no visible scars from the incisions. You can expect to enjoy your results for at least 10 to 15 years, but as you age, your skin will begin to naturally droop over time.
Who is a Candidate for Blepharoplasty?
Patients who are excellent candidates for these procedures have these concerns as they age or as a result of hereditary factors:
- Droopy or hooded eyelids
- Sagging eyelid skin
- Tired, puffy eyes and under-eye bags
- People who do not have a natural eyelid crease
To determine if you are a candidate for blepharoplasty, our patient care managers are available to help discuss the surgery in more detail and conduct a photo review. You can contact them on (604) 733 1669 or complete this form online to request a call back.
Upper Blepharoplasty Patient Testimonial
The Types of Blepharoplasty Techniques
The eye area and associated conditions that makes someone consider Blepharoplasty is quite complex, and depends on a number of factors. The technique that Dr. Buonassisi will discuss with you depends on where exactly the condition lies, and whether it’s the upper bleph, the lower bleph, and in some cases both.
Optimal for tightening upper eyelid skin and muscles, the reduction of eyelid puffiness, and to help make the eyes appear bigger, brighter, rested, and refreshed. A precise incision is made in the upper eyelid, excess skin and underlying fat is then removed, and the resulting scar will be hidden in the natural crease of the eyelid once healed.
Removes excess and aged skin on the lower eyelid, and helps to improve a tired looking appearance. The skin and underlying muscle is gently elevated to expose the fat that often bulges forward from the lower eye. Once the fat is removed and reshaped, the excess skin is trimmed and the underlying muscle is suspended upward and outward to support the tissues for long-term tightening of the lower lid.
Best suited for those who have noticeable puffy lower eyelids due to herniated bulges of fat (typically hereditary), and do not have loose skin that needs to be removed. A very small incision inside the lower eyelid is made, where it cannot be seen. The tissues are gently separated to expose the lower eyelid fat that often bulges forward. The fat is carefully removed in order to reduce the puffiness of the lower eyelid.
Why Choose 8 West Clinic for Your Blepharoplasty?
There are many reasons 8 West Clinic is constantly regarded as one of the best places in Vancouver for a facelift. Besides the superior level of surgical skill provided by Dr. Buonassisi, here are some other examples of benefits and perks that set our patient experience apart for those considering blepharoplasty surgery.
- The Blepharoplasty Bundle (for Upper Blepharoplasty Patients): Dr. Buonassisi’s upper blepharoplasty patients can take advantage of our Blepharoplasty Bundle–Vancouver’s only full-spectrum comprehensive offering for the ultimate upper blepharoplasty eye rejuvenation results. Ask us about what’s included in your complimentary pre-consultation!
- Comprehensive Approach: Rejuvenation is often holistic. We offer the full spectrum of both surgical and non-surgical treatments and specialists under one roof to be able to provide the best array of options and expertise to achieve the best possible outcomes for patients.
- Post-op Care: Patient care is just as important in the post-op period as it is before surgery. Each blepharoplasty patient is personally followed-up with at multiple points after their surgery, ensuring that communication is maintained throughout the healing process and beyond.
- Surgical Scar Management Program: Dr. Buonassisi’s surgical patients gain exclusive access to our specially priced scar management treatments for those who would like to have this option available to them.
- Surgical IV Therapy Program: Dr. Buonassisi’s surgical patients gain exclusive access to our specially priced IV vitamin therapy packages to help prepare their bodies holistically for surgery and recovery.
- Loyalty Points: Every patient earns Loyalty Points after their procedure, which is redeemable towards non-surgical treatments at the clinic. Favourite eye rejuvenation services include things like treating wrinkles around the upper face and eyes with Botox, sunken under-eyes with dermal fillers, fine lines and deeper wrinkles with lasers such as HALO or Contour TRL, eliminating pigmentation and redness with BBL, and more.
What’s Covered in Your Pre-Assessment Call
Step 1: Request Your Complimentary Pre-Assessment Session with the 8 West Clinic Team
A pre-assessment session is a complimentary service that we recommend to anyone considering Blepharoplasty surgery. In your pre-assessment session with a patient care manager, they will conduct a photo review with yourself and Dr. Buonassisi on your behalf to confirm that you are a candidate for the procedure. They will also discuss the surgery cost, timeline, and process, as well as any other options that Dr. Buonassisi may suggest to achieve your desired results.
Step 2: Schedule Your Consultation with Dr. Buonassisi
Meet Dr. Buonassisi in person (or online if you are an out-of-town patient) for expectations setting. The surgical consultation is by far the most important part of the cosmetic surgery process because this is the communication tool that helps explain what can be achieved in surgery.
You may ask Dr. Buonassisi to share real patient Before and After photos to help illustrate what can be achieved with the particular surgery you are discussing. This is also your opportunity to ask him any questions.
Step 3: Schedule Your Surgery and Receive Ongoing Care in Follow Up Visits
Our team of medical professionals and patient care managers are here to make your experience a smooth, informative and positive one. We manage all the details of your surgery and schedule a series of follow-up appointments to ensure you are healing well and are happy with your results! We are here to help answer all your questions about recovery.
Learn More with a Pre-Assessment Call
The decision to proceed with Blepharoplasty surgery should be made with the utmost level of care and attention. While it can be exciting to think about how you may look with a Blepharoplasty, it is important to be informed about both the risks and benefits of surgery.
A pre-consultation discussion is a complimentary service with our award-winning, knowledgeable and friendly patient care team, which we recommend to anyone considering any surgery. This service includes a review of your photos to help determine if Blepharoplasty is right for you, plus a discussion of costs and possible surgery dates on top of any other questions you may have before you decide if you are ready to meet Dr. Thomas Buonassisi in person.