Mini Tummy Tuck Surgery
For many people, genetics, weight gain and pregnancy cause the muscles and skin in the abdomen area to permanently stretch out. For these people, no amount of exercise or diet will help the muscle and skin retract to a more flat and contoured appearance. A tummy tuck, also known abdominoplasty, is a Vancouver cosmetic surgery procedure to correct the appearance of excess skin and fat near the abdominal area.
The Mini Tummy Tuck Technique
A mini tummy tuck is a modified complete tummy tuck. The board certified plastic surgeons at the 8 West Clinic are experts in abdominal surgeon and will choose from a variety of techniques to perform depending on the specific characteristics of each patient. Mini tummy tuck (also known as “partial tummy tuck” or “scarless tummy tuck”) may be an alternative to a Complete Tummy Tuck for patients who have less excess skin and fat and who do not have substantially extended abdomens. The mini tummy tuck surgery can be an attractive option as this technique is associated with less trauma and scarring. Not everyone is a candidate for Mini Tummy Tuck. The right abdominoplasty surgery for you depends on your size, shape and objectives. Your plastic surgeon will do a complete evaluation during your surgical consultation and recommend the best technique for you.
Mini Tummy Tuck Incisions
The mini tummy tuck avoids a scar around the belly button that is typically used with the other tummy tuck techniques. While a complete tummy tuck involves an incision around the belly button and across the lower abdomen, a mini tummy tuck leaves the belly button intact and requires a small incision above the pubic bone. Liposuction is often used with the mini tummy tuck surgery to remove excess abdominal fat, further sculpting the body<link-to: Tummy Tuck with Liposuction/>.
There are different techniques for abdominoplasty, each of them indicated for a specific abdominal shape. Each technique is associated with its own unique set of benefits and risks. Your plastic surgeon will recommend the best approach for you, and carefully review the risks and benefits of each.
How the Procedure is Performed
Your plastic surgeon separates the skin between the incision line and the navel. She tightens the abdominal walls are removes excess skin and fat. Sometimes the belly button is detached and then re-attached, but unlike the complete tummy tuck, the belly button is not repositioned.
The mini tummy tuck surgery takes 1.5 to 2 hours and most patients can return home the same day.
Are You a Good Candidate
Mini tummy tuck is not appropriate for everyone. It may be indicated for patients who have very little excess skin and lower abdominal fat. These patients typically have an accumulation of unwanted fat that causes a bulge below the navel, combined with stretched abdominal muscles. The procedure is not for overweight patients, or those with significant stretch marks or saggy skin.
You may be a candidate for mini tummy tuck if:
- You have a small bulge of fat below the belly button and stretched abdominal muscles
- Your skin tone and elasticity is good
- You do not have a large amount of loose skin on the abdomen
You may be a candidate for mini tummy tuck surgery if you are in general, in good health:
- You are close to your ideal body weight
- You have been at a stable weight for six months or more
- You have normal blood pressure
- You are not taking blood thinners, or your family physician can safely recommend that you stop taking them for two weeks
- You are not pregnant of breastfeeding
After having the tummy tuck procedure patients typically feel discomfort, which is controlled with oral pain medication. Your recovery time will depend on the extent of the surgery.
Time Off Work
- Most people take two weeks off work
- You may have trouble sitting or standing upright for one to two weeks after surgery
Back to Normal Activities
- You can resume normal activities, such as light household work and taking a gentle stroll, one week after surgery
- You can resume light fitness activities, such as jogging or yoga, three to four weeks after surgery
- You can resume vigorous fitness activities, such heavy weight training or high impact cardio, four to six weeks after surgery
- You should avoid bending over and lifting heavy objects for two weeks after surgery
- All evidence of bruising and swelling should be resolved within 6 to 8 weeks of surgery
Risks & Complications
All surgeries have associated risks. Your plastic surgeon will review the risks and benefits of the surgery in detail during your surgical consult. In general, complications of tummy tuck surgery, while not expected, include:
- Risk of infection
- Risk of bleeding
- Risk of poor wound healing
- Risk of patient dissatisfaction with cosmetic result
Combination Body Shaping Procedures
Vancouver tummy tuck surgery is often combined with liposuction or breast implants. This combination is particularly popular with mothers who are frustrated by the body changes that occurred as a result of pregnancy. Find out more about common combinations of procedures for the post pregnancy mother.
Alternative Tummy Procedures
Sometimes patients are better candidates for abdominal liposuction alone. During your surgical consultation, your plastic surgeon will assess your physical features, consider your objectives, and recommend which cosmetic breast surgery is best for you.
Ready to Discuss Your Cosmetic Surgery Needs with Board Certified Plastic Surgeon? Schedule a Consult
If you are ready to book a consult, please Request a Consult.