Cosmetic surgery is often a topic that doesn’t get discussed much, let alone in absolute truth. Whether you are considering having cosmetic surgery or you know someone who is, getting to know the real truth about the procedure can do wonders for peace-of-mind and practical planning. This is why we, the specialists at 8 West Cosmetic Surgery, are debunking 5 myths about cosmetic surgery.
- Cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery are the same things: Surprising to many, the terms “plastic” and “cosmetic” are not interchangeable, and common confusion about these two specialties has led to public misconceptions. Cosmetic surgery is the elective surgery of appearance, focusing on the aesthetics of beauty. Plastic surgery, on the other hand, is a surgical specialty in the reconstruction of the face and body due to birth disorders, trauma, burns, and disease.
- Breast augmentation will lift droopy breasts. Another shocker, breast augmentation focuses on the size or volume of the breasts, but does not lift droopy breasts, nor does this surgery change underlying basic defects in breast shape and form. To lift droopy breasts, a breast lift is most appropriate.
- Breast implants increase the risk of getting breast cancer. The Institute of Medicine has found evidence that breast implants do not cause breast cancer or its recurrence after all. Routine checkups, however, are just as necessary with or without breast implants.
- Liposuction removes cellulite. Cellulite is caused by tight bands of fibrous tissue, which is not addressed with liposuction. Because liposuction extracts the fat layer just below the skin, the procedure may actually worsen the appearance of cellulite.
- Botox will leave you expressionless. While it’s true that if too much Botox is injected expression can be lost, this will not be the case if the procedure is done correctly. This involves maintaining the balance of the muscles of the face and only injecting small amounts of Botox into specific muscles. In this case, a natural softening of targeted wrinkles without compromising facial expression is the happy result.
With these common cosmetic surgery myths cracked, certain misconceptions can fall away leaving you with greater clarity. Whether you plan to have cosmetic surgery or you know someone who does, we hope these new truths will lead you towards your goals. Click here to book your complimentary consultation at our practice, and get the truth straight from our specialists!