About Breast Reduction
Breast reduction surgery is a commonly referred to as breast mammoplasty surgery. Breast reduction is an elective cosmetic surgery procedure to reduce the size and bulk of a woman’s breasts. Most breast reduction surgery techniques involve components of breast mastopexy (or breast lift) to elevate and firm the remaining tissue. The result is a significant reduction in the size of the breasts combined with a more pleasing, youthful breast shape.
There are several different breast reduction procedures, each with their own risks and benefits. Your 8 West Clinic plastic surgeon is board certified and specializes in breast reduction surgery and will choose from a variety of techniques depending on each patient’s physical characteristics and objectives.
About the Short Scar Vertical Breast Reduction Technique
The vertical incision breast reduction surgery technique is sometimes referred to as the short scar or LeJour breast reduction method. This technique can result in more shapely breasts and less scarring than the anchor pattern technique. The vertical incision method of breast reductions has become more popular, and might be appropriate for women who do not require extensive tissue removal. While the idea of a less scarring is appealing, patients should understand that this procedure is only appropriate for women with very specific breast features. Your plastic surgeon will do a thorough evaluation of your needs and objectives during your surgical consult.
Advantages Over the Anchor Pattern Technique for Breast Reduction
- less scarring
- less invasive
- less disruptive to the glandular tissue of the breast than the traditional procedure
- shorter surgery time
- results in breasts that are rounder and fuller
- the nipple may be able to remain attached to a pedicle, keeping milk ducts intact
Disadvantages OVER THE ANCHOR PATTERN TECHNIQUE
- breasts appear to be wrinkled and lumpy for several months following surgery
- not appropriate for women with extremely large breasts requiring extensive tissue removal
- if the nipple needs to be removed (sometimes the case with extremely large breasts) the nipple may need to be completely removed during relocation, increasing the risk of sensation loss and interference with breast feeding ability.
Despite these disadvantages, many patients find the benefits far outweigh the costs of breast reduction surgery.
SHORT SCAR BREAST REDUCTION Incisions
The placement of skin incision and scar patterns that your plastic surgeon uses in breast reduction surgery depend on a number of variables including the amount of excess skin, elasticity, and degree of elevation required. The short scar vertical incision approach will require a scar around the areolar (pariareolar) and a vertical scar that extends from the centerline incision. The shape of the scar resembles a lollipop. The vertical scar can be quite visible, even after healed, and patients need to evaluate their tolerance for scarring carefully before they proceed with surgery.
About the Anchor Pattern Reduction Technique
The traditional anchor pattern breast reduction technique has many advantages for women with extremely large breasts, however it is also the most invasive type of breast reduction surgery.
Advantages of the ANCHOR PATTERN TECHNIQUE
- May be best for women with extremely large breasts
- The anchor shaped incision also allows surgeons to remove more tissue than other methods resulting in maximum breast reduction
- The breast looks relatively smooth (without wrinkles and bumps) within a month of surgery
Disadvantages of the Anchor Patterns Technique
- Results in more scarring that vertical scar technique
- If the nipple is completely detached from blood vessels and milk ducts during surgery, there is an increased rink for loss of breast feeding ability or nipple sensation
ANCHOR PATTERN INCISION
The placement of skin incision and scar patterns used depend on a number of variables including the amount of excess skin, elasticity, and degree of elevation required.
In the traditional breast reduction surgery technique, incisions are made horizontally under the breast in the crease and extend vertically up to and around the nipple, creating an anchor pattern. Though this method uses the most extensive incisions of any breast reduction technique used today, the resulting scars can often be hidden by bathing suits and even low cut tops.
Breast Lift or Breast Reduction
The short scar vertical technique is also used during some breast lift procedures.
Breast Surgery Options
Every woman’s breasts are different. There is no one right approach, and only through a consultation with your breast reduction specialist at 8 West Clinic can your needs and objectives be properly assessed. There are several different types of breast surgery that may be appropriate for you:
Breast implant surgery involves the placement of saline or silicone filled implants behind the breast to increase the size and the shape.
Breast Mastopexy (Lift)
Breast lift surgery can be accomplished using different scar patters, depending on each patient and is appropriate for patients who have sagging or drooping breasts. Breast lifts are often combined with breast implants to achieve the best result.
Are You a Good Candidate
Healthy women who have realistic expectations of breast reduction surgery may be good candidates.
You may be a candidate for breast lift surgery if you are bothered by any of the following physical features:
- Very large breasts that droop and sag
You may be a candidate for breast lift surgery if you are in general, in good health:
- You have normal blood pressure
- You are not taking blood thinners, or your family physician can safely recommend that you stop taking them for two weeks
- You are not pregnant of breastfeeding
Following breast mastopexy or breast reduction, it is expected that you will experience discomfort, swelling, and bruising which can last from two to three weeks. You can moderate the pain experienced during the first week of surgery with oral pain medication, after which time it is typically not necessary.
Prior to your surgery, your patient care team will provide detailed pre and pre surgery instructions to ensure that you are properly prepared for the surgery and the recovery period. You will be advised not so sleep on your stomach for three weeks following surgery, and to wear a surgical bra for the first week or so. The surgical bra will be replaced by a sports bra which you will be encouraged to wear at all times for several weeks.
It is common to experience some loss of feeling in the nipples, which is caused by swelling. This numbness usually subsides along with the swelling over the next six to eight weights weeks, although sometimes it is permanent.
The following information will give you a sense for what kinds of activities are safe during the recovery period.
Time Off Work
- Most people take one to two weeks off work
Back to Normal Activities
- You can resume normal activities, such as light household work and taking a gentle stroll, the day after surgery
- You can resume light fitness activities, such as jogging or yoga, three to four weeks after surgery
- You can resume vigorous fitness activities, such heavy weight training or high impact cardio, four to six weeks after surgery
- You should avoid bending over and lifting heavy objects for two weeks after surgery
- You will experience swelling and bruising for up to two weeks following surgery
- Your incisions fill fade over time, but will never completely go away – however the benefits of breast lift surgery outweigh the scarring for the majority of people
- You will feel comfortable in a bikini roughly four weeks after surgery, although your scars will still be red and raised at this time
Risks & Complications
All surgeries have associated risks. Your plastic surgeon will review the risks and benefits of the surgery in detail during your surgical consult. In general, complications of facelift surgery, while not expected, include:
- Risk of infection
- Risk of bleeding
- Risk of poor wound healing
- Risk of patient dissatisfaction with cosmetic result
- Risk of loss of nipple sensation
- Risk of scarring
Combination Breast Shaping Procedures
Vancouver breast mamopexy surgery is often combined with liposuction or tummy tuck surgery. This combination is particularly popular with mothers who are frustrated by the body changes that occurred as a result of pregnancy.
Ready to Discuss Your Cosmetic Surgery Needs with Board Certified Plastic Surgeon? Schedule a Consult
If you are ready to book a consult, please Request a Consult.