Our Mission, Philosophy and Commitment to Patients
The team at 8 West Cosmetic Surgery has developed and refined a comprehensive process for encouraging positive and satisfying cosmetic surgery outcomes. There is a range of variables that affect a patient’s experience, beyond the results of the surgery itself.
Our mission is to:
- Provide patients with an abundance of information so that they can make an informed decision about cosmetic surgery
- Set realistic expectations for the potential benefits of surgery – be clear about what can and what can not be achieved
- Set realistic expectations for what the patient will experience during the recovery period so they can plan accordingly
- Clearly present the potential risks and complications of surgery
- Remain a long-term ally for our patients and cultivate a long lasting relationship
We have a framework for guiding all the activities at our practice, to ensure the highest level of standards and care. Our unique process includes:
The cosmetic surgery industry is not regulated, putting the onus on the consumer to evaluate the mass of marketing available on the Internet and make the best decision possible with the information that is available to them. We believe that we can provide the highest level of responsible care by offering specialized services. Dr. Thomas Buonassisi is a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon who focuses his practice on cosmetic surgery of the nose, face, neck, eyes, and ears. He completed his fellowship training with leading cosmetic facial surgeons in the United States and Australia. He is widely regarded by his medical peers as an expert facial surgeon.
There is a typical series of steps that people considering cosmetic surgery engage in. They begin by doing research to evaluate some of the options that may be available. We believe that we can best support patients as they research by providing a comprehensive source of reliable and credible information about cosmetic surgery, on our website. All the information on our site is developed with our surgeon to ensure the highest level of credibility and accuracy. We work hard to create reliable and helpful content.
PRIVACY & SAFETY
We believe that patients have the right to experience cosmetic surgery in a private and safe setting. We are committed to:
ETHICS & CARE
It seems that every day, new cosmetic technologies are released to the beauty industry. We recommend proven surgical procedures and will not endorse or promote techniques or technologies that have not been shown through research to be safe, effective and associated with a high degree of patient satisfaction.
We take our patients and their desire for privacy very seriously.
- Patient medical information is kept secure in our electronic medical records system
- Our ground floor location is located on a quiet tree lined street, providing easy entry and exit in a confidential manner
- The patients who are featured in our in office educational materials have provided their consent for being featured in this way
We chose our location carefully to provide convenient access, in a modern first class medical facility. We are located one block from Broadway, with parking available directly in front of our ground floor location.
Our surgeon performs surgery at the top surgery centres in Vancouver. These facilities are accredited by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia and meet the highest standards of care.
COMPREHENSIVE CONSULTATION PROCESS
We are committed to creating an environment that facilitates a highly communicative dialogue between the surgeon and the patient. The surgical consult is a critical part of a cosmetic surgery candidate’s decision-making process. If done well, the consult shapes the patient’s experience of cosmetic surgery, and ensures that the surgeon has the opportunity to properly manage the patient’s expectations of the results. Our consulting process is designed with these objectives in mind:
- Patients should feel informed and relaxed
- Patients should have realistic expectations of both the surgery and the recovery period
- Patients should have sufficient time to ask questions
- Patients should have the opportunity for a complementary second consultation should they require more information before making a decision
- Patient selection: Dr. Buonassisi chooses which patients he will accept to do surgery on based on their ability to accept the risks, complications and limitations of the procedure – this is determined in the pre surgical consultation – not everyone is a good candidate for surgery and some will be turned away
Find out more about the consultation types we offer.
Computer imaging plays an invaluable role in helping patients understand what can be achieved with cosmetic surgery, and gives them the option to see what they will look like before committing. Computer imaging is a valuable communication tool, as you and your surgeon will have the opportunity to review several degrees of change and discuss the pros and cons of different options.
Cosmetic surgery patients have a right to understanding both the risks and benefits of surgery. The informed consent process involves ensuring the patient has the opportunity to thoroughly review the potential risks and complications of surgery, before they make a decision. While health complications from cosmetic surgery are rare and not expected, we believe that informed patients can make better decisions. We choose our clients carefully. Not everyone is a candidate for cosmetic surgery. Ideal candidates for cosmetic surgery demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Internally motivated to have cosmetic surgery – this is their idea, not someone else’s
- Have realistic expectations
- Comprehend the potential risks and complications
- Motivated to follow pre and post operative instructions
- Can comfortably afford the cost of cosmetic surgery
Patients who have the best experience of cosmetic surgery are those who are properly prepared for the recovery period, and clearly understand what things they should and should not do following surgery to encourage the best outcome. Your patient care co-ordinator will provide detailed instructions on both how to prepare and how to recover from surgery. A comprehensive daily care home routine will be provided. It is important that you follow these instructions carefully to encourage a safe recovery.
Your relationship with 8 West Cosmetic Surgery doesn’t end after surgery. We want our patients to feel like they are a part of our family. A series of after care appointments will be scheduled for you. The objective of these appointments is to monitor your progress as you heal, and ensure you have the opportunity to have all your questions answered along the way.